Saturday, 1 March 2008

I'm So Lucky.....

Yes, I know that may seem to be a slightly odd statement. Especially coming from me, as someone who has spent a large proportion of the last year bemoaning his lack of fortune and the darkness of unexpected events.

So why on earth might I consider myself lucky? During rare moments of clarity, it's fairly straightforward. Firstly, I had the absolute privilege of spending nearly eight years of my life in the company of Prince. I was the richest man on the planet during that time, and no stock-market crash can ever take away what he so generously gave to me.

Secondly, I'm lucky because Prince introduced me to Tilly. Those of you that have been reading this blog for some time may recall that when I visited the RSPCA centre, Tilly was 'not for re-homing'. Orange paws were certainly at work when I asked why, and discovered it was a mistake and that she could indeed choose me to take her home if she so wished.

She did, and proved that in characteristic style, Prince continued to look out for me even after he'd moved on to his new adventure. And she's utterly fantastic. Buzzy, licky, dafty, bouncy, fantastic. Yes, she drives me crazy at times, but Prince couldn't have chosen a better sister.

Do you see? I'm the luckiest man on earth. I also have the best family I could wish for, even if they REALLY drive me crazy at times, and some damned good friends. I have a house that's reasonably warm, and struggle not to eat too much. I'm lucky.

The only unfortunate thing is that sometimes it takes others grief to remind you just how lucky you are.

A wise big brother......

And his little sister, maintaining the tradition of a cat-free garden.....

8 comments:

Flowerpot said...

Lovely pictures, G. As you say, it sometimes takes others' misfortunes to make you realise your own luck. I'm very happy for you. No less than you deserve!

Joker The Lurcher said...

i love this - its so easy to get down and think nothing is going ok. i feel very lucky today too - my lovely son made lunch and we had a great walk in the forest.

Fiona said...

Graham, I loved your post. You are lucky and I am too. Without the lows we wouldn't get the highs and vice versa and how "high" or lucky we were to have such special friends in our lives for so long. We ARE blessed. Keep smiling xxx

Linda Seid Frembes said...

Graham, good to hear you being so positive. Yes, we are lucky... to have love in our lives and food on the table.

Teresa (AKA Cole-n-Bridget's mommy) said...

Graham, I ran across your blog at the beginning of February as my husband and I were frantically searching for information on lymphoma. Our beloved lab, Cole, had just been diagnosed with it and we needed to decide on treatment. Your and Prince's story was so heart-filled and touching. It inspired me to do the same for Cole, to honor her in remember everything that I love about her in a blog (cole-n-bridget.blogspot.com). Thank you so much for sharing your story and for inspiring ours. We are so happy for you in finding Tilly! Take care!

Patience-please said...

And I just bet Prince is doing happy dances feeling your joy! And, of course, Miss Tilly Too.

smiles-
Patience

DoGGa said...

Nicely put Graham! :)

sama said...

graham, it's so good to hear you say this. your grief over prince was so tangible, and it is wonderful to see that you have come to understand how lucky you are! the pain doesn't go away, but it becomes easier to handle, doesn't it?

tilly is one lucky little girl!