Tuesday, 22 January 2008

Supersoft Tilly


You may recall that soon after I adopted Tilly I posted a few times about how she was very independent, and not really keen on cuddling and other such soppy activities. I'm pleased to report that whilst she still sees 'smooching' as a waste of valuable playing time, she's becoming decidedly soft in some ways.

Not long ago, any 'downtime' would have been spent in her bed in the kitchen, and as soon as she stopped getting direct attention she would have sloped off. She's now started to mooch back into the sitting room and casually flop down next to me on the rug. She's even beginning to allow me to stroke her whilst she sleeps, without it turning into the inevitable pre-amble to a game. Being picked up is something she still doesn't really enjoy, but for practical purposes it's now grudgingly accepted. All in all, for an independent woman, she's becoming quite soft. I've realised that the more you try and encourage her to be cuddled, the more she rebels, but if you give her the space to come to you, she will. Eventually.....

We're also slightly more 'connected' out on walks. She still spends much of the walk out of sight, galloping around a few hundred yards away from me, but her recall is almost faultless in most circumstances. It's very much the case that you don't 'go out for a walk with Tilly', you simply happen to be walking in the same general area....

She's willing to come back to me virtually straight away though, and she stops periodically to look back and check that I'm still in the same county as her......

She's doing really well. All I need to do now is reduce the number of times that I get bitten throughout the day. It's all light-hearted and very much in the context of play, but I am beginning to look like an abuse victim.

11 comments:

Emily, Maggie, Ellis, and Angel said...

She sounds so sweet! Your description of walking with her is hilarious... reminds me of hiking with Maggie (minus the good recall). In my "old age" I've become too paranoid to let her off leash anymore though. So nice that Tilly comes when called! What a novelty that must be!

Meg said...

That little girl just keeps getting cuter every day! Her walking style sounds similar to what Clara does when we go out walking in the fields in the winter (although Clara usually has other dogs and people to "herd" so we don't lose anyone, so I think she spends a little more time close by). I'm glad to hear Tilly's learning to be sweeter, too, in her own stubborn way.

Patience-please said...

"but if you give her the space to come to you, she will. Eventually....."

My husband would say... Nevermind!

I wish I had one whippet with a reliable recall in an open field. I do not. I have several who have earned obedience titles, but forget out in the open.
good girl, Tilly!

Patience

Aoj & The Lurchers said...

She has cone so far with you Graham...you should be very proud!

Lesley Rigby said...

Tilly is highly intelligent - it comes to something when you wish you had the brain of a dog!!

Cassidy said...

You be very good girl Tilly. Me is super cuddly girl. Me loves being picked up for big snuggles but mummy and daddy say me is getting to big and heavy, boo hoo.

Nibbles
Cassidy x

Flowerpot said...

Sounds like she's settling in so well and you're both getting used to each other. Dear girl - and so photogenic!

HandH said...

Hey at least she's going in the same direction! I can't let Holly off lead or she wouldn't even be in the same county... Sounds like she's turning into a grown-up :-)

DoGGa said...

Paws galore! :]

Well that's a good sign - in 6 months time she could be a fuss-tart!

Fiona said...

You are doing brilliantly. Some dogs are softies some are not, maybe a bit like people. Also like people - don't push it :o)
She shouldn't bite though (in any way) - take a look at Cesar Millan (try Sky 3 or Amazon). He is a star in my world.

Chips said...

You've got it right Tilly. Treat 'em mean, keep 'em keen. Just when they're getting desperate, give them a gentle nuzzle, then turn your back on them. I've been doing it successfully for years.

go gently on the biting though. That doesn't make them keen at all.