Sunday, 6 January 2008

New Year Ramblings....

So much for my new years resolution to blog more frequently......

I can't pretend this festive season has been one that I'll remember too fondly. Apart from the underlying sadness at having spent it without Prince scampering around, it's been pretty much rendered redundant by illness. I had what I described as 'man-flu' before Christmas, and had a couple of days of feeling OK until my Boxing Day hangover morphed into true flu - complete with aches, pains, hot flushes, nausea and all the other delights that come with having real flu, rather than a fairly trivial, albeit male, cold. Both my parents, most of my friends, and my brother and his girlfriend, also came down with viruses and flu over Christmas - producing a very festive germ-pool as you can imagine! We're all at various stages of recovery now, which is good....

I took the decorations down today, and it's a great relief not to have to pretend to be festive any more. Tilly was suitably sour-faced throughout the process, as it couldn't really involve her, but she soon bucked-up when she realised that there was more floor space for play without the Christmas tree in the way. I wish Christmas had been a bit more positively memorable this year, as her first Christmas with me - but hopefully we can make up for it next year.

I'm also the proud owner of a new 'Trotter-mobile'. I'm one of the relatively small number of people who genuinely need to be able to drive across muddy fields and up farm tracks, so needed to replace my old estate car with a four wheel drive. I'm pleased with the new truck, and Tilly seems to thoroughly approve as she sits proudly in the back, but as ever it's tinged with sadness. Isn't it strange the things you can get sentimental about? Of course, I now need to sell my old car. This is the car that still has a million of Princes hairs embedded in the boot lining, and holds so many memories of holidays and days out with Princes little face silhouetted in the rear view mirror that it's painful to think of handing it over to someone else. It'll kill me to sell it, but unfortunately I have to be practical - and I've smashed the front bumper so many times trying to go 'cross-country' in it, that the time has come.

I wish I could stop being so bloody pathetic......

13 comments:

Emily, Maggie, Ellis, and Angel said...

I'm glad you are feeling better! The holidays were a bit somber for me as well... only I was in the "lasts" mode. Last Christmas, last winter break, last... with Maggie. I hope I am wrong, but I've seen the statistics unfortunately. At least I will be keeping my dog hair infested car for a while longer though ;) Your new one looks nice!

Patience-please said...

Ick to holidays. Ick to sick.
I take comfort in the fact that the days are now getting longer and soon it will be spring.

I hate winter.

all the best-
Patience

Flowerpot said...

poor Graham - hope your spirits start to improve soon. Nothng like Christmas and january to make anyone feel terrible. I quite understand about getting rid of the car, but needs must. Moving on is never easy is it?

Harry said...

I still like sniffing Oscar's toys and his collar as I can still smell him on it. Probably seems very weird to some, but it brings me some comfort.

We are also on the lookout for a new car, as with 2 dogs we need more room!

Katy x

Meg said...

Poor Graham, glad you're feeling better, but the flu is never fun! Always makes me feel depressed as well as lethargic, never a good combination. At least you made it through the holiday season and that is now over. I know how hard that must've been. Good luck with the car situation. The new one *does* look nice, though.

Linda Seid Frembes said...

I totally get what you mean about the mixed feelings of a new car. I traded in my old car in October, 2 months after Watson's passing. It was strange. And I plucked as many hairs as I could out of the seats and saved them. Maybe that's weird too, but I miss him. And I knew I would miss that car only because he used to ride so well in it; seats folded down and him lying down in the back, not making a sound and lifting his head to look out the window.

Linda Seid Frembes said...

P.S. I am glad you're feeling better. You are one up on me. I haven't taken down all of the Christmas decorations yet!!

Handh said...

Not pathetic at all - I'd be out with the sellotape getting up as many hairs as possible, and then wondering what to do with an envelope full of bits of fuzzy sellotape... Sorry about the flu, but new car looks posh!

DoGGa said...

Your Xmas sounds a bit like mine, as I was full of cold for the first half and the second half was nice, but nowt really happened.

Nice new 'motta' - sounds like getting rid of the old one was a good idea yes. No good holding on to the past and torturing yourself any longer. The faster you can move on the better! :]

Happy New Year!!!

Aoj & The Lurchers said...

Glad you're starting to feel better Graham.

And, hey, sensitivity in a man is no bad thing so don't feel pathetic about it.

Patience-please said...

We gave you an award! It was raining and nasty so it felt like a good thing to do.

all the best-
Patience

Fiona said...

You are not pathetic, you are human and a very nice one at that. Chin up - it WILL get better.

Aoj & The Lurchers said...

Graham, you've gone very quiet...you OK?