Wednesday, 16 January 2008

Boo!

First of all, I must thank AOJ for giving me the nudge I needed to get my blogging head on again, and she's in a very strong position to do this as she's posted virtually every day this year! I've also lost touch with all my favourite blogs to a large extent, so I'm looking forward to having a poke around and seeing what everyone's been up to.

Life's really busy at the moment, and I'm currently taking a couple of days off to try and shake off this annoying virus thing that's been driving me mad for weeks. Tilly is at her Grandparents house today, so that I can catch up on a few chores that aren't very 'Trotter-friendly' and have a bit of a break.

I'm so lucky to have found her - she's an absolute joy. Of course, she drives me mad at times, and I'm certain that she despairs of me quite regularly! I took her to meet a big group of friends and their horses on Saturday, with some trepidation. I've mentioned a few times that up until now she's not been very steady around horses and livestock, so I had expected some 'issues'. She was absolutely brilliant - you would have thought that she'd been milling around horses legs since she'd been born. It may sound a little odd, but I was so proud of her. It's great to see her confidence growing by the day.

She even managed to exercise great restrain the other morning, when our usual walk was ruined by the presence of what seemed like a thousand orienteers. And she didn't chase, bite, or french kiss any of them. More's the pity.

Orienteering - now there's an activity I don't understand. Take lots and lots of people, dress them in lurid lycra cat-suits, and send them out to run aimlessly around a patch of land, glaring at any regular users who might have the audacity to be there at the same time.

They were like bloody ants running all over the hills. Most of them were extraordinarily rude, and clearly determined to achieve whatever their pointless aim might have been, with no concern for those who might be in their way. Of course, I beat them hands down in the grumpy stakes, and wandered around muttering about them churning up the paths and spoiling the view with their revolting lycra clad bodies - many of which bore an incredible similarity to porridge in tights.....

There was one notable exception. The one high point of the walk was when a beautiful blond girl, wearing spray-on lycra, leapt onto the path in front of me. Tilly was quite impressed with my turn of speed as I struggled to keep up with her, but alas, the best pair of buttocks I've seen for some time disappeared into the distance disappointingly quickly. There might be something in this orienteering lark after all........

8 comments:

Meg said...

Yay, Tilly! I'm proud of her acting like an old pro around livestock. Clara is still kinda scared of cows and horses ("ohmigod, Mom, look at those REALLY ENORMOUS doggies over there!!! Augh!!"), so I know what a big accomplishment that can be. She half believes me when I say that they're "OK", but still keeps acting a bit wary, like she doesn't *quite* believe me....

Patience-please said...

My older crew were all raised with horses, and saw cattle on all the rides. The young 'uns would bark their heads off, I believe. Or simply tip over and lie on their backs in a dead faint with all fours stick straight in the air!!
Good girl, Tilly.

Patience

Flowerpot said...

go for it Graham!

Linda Seid Frembes said...

Okay, I hate to be the "Stupid American" of the bunch... but what is orienteering?? I have triangulated that is may be the equivalent to "speed walking" in our country. Although walking at a fast pace is not an official sport here, there are waxed, jiggly creatures who do take part.

Aoj & The Lurchers said...

Good to see you back in blogland Graham! I can sympathise about the cold virus, I have it and I jsut can't get rid of it.

Good to hear Tilly is being such a star!

HandH said...

Obviously you need to train Tilly to follow and round up lycra-clad lovelies until you manage to catch up!

Fiona said...

Well done Tilly! I wish mine were great around livestock!!

DoGGa said...

LOL - nowt like a blonde in lyrca! :O]