Wednesday, 26 December 2007

Ho Ho Ho!!!

Merry Christmas to you all - and thank you for your kind comments following my previous post, and for all your support over the past few months.

Regardless of your opinions on the rights and wrongs of foxhunting, I think the pictures above sum up an English country Christmas quite well. The turnout at the Boxing day meet in Tarporley earlier today was phenomenal, and spirits were high despite raging hangovers, stray tinsel and reindeer horns.

The past few days have been hectic. Tilly has fully embraced the festive spirit and has coped really well with the inevitable change in routines and chaos that this time of year brings. I went to my brother and his partners house for Christmas dinner with the rest of the family. Tilly came too, and despite my concerns was impeccably well behaved. She was delighted with the gift that our hosts had left under the tree for her, and slept peacefully whilst we ate dinner. Her only misdemeanour was the theft of a piece of stollen from the coffee table, and I really have to take responsibility for this as I'd seen her eyeing it up earlier in the day, and failed to move it....

Christmas dinner was wonderful, but I had to leave a little earlier than I might have liked to undertake 'chicken duties'. A few days ago I agreed to keep an eye on a neighbours farm whilst they were away over Christmas, and this involved protecting the chickens from the local fox population, as well as ensuring that the cattle didn't escape and run riot in local gardens. All was well when I arrived to shut them in last night - it was rather festive to stumble through the fields by torchlight, and to find the chickens safely in their sheds clucking contentedly as I approached.

Letting them out again this morning was less festive, as I was suffering from a dreadful hangover after some rather late and excessive Christmas drinks with my neighbours last night.

I hope you've all had a happy Christmas.

8 comments:

Patience-please said...

Oh the foxhunting photos are lovely! I spent many a long day foxhunting. I enjoyed it immensely, though I must say in all the years we never killed a fox. We ran them to ground, but our country was shrinking enough that we treasured every fox, and would never want to lose one.
I think Tilly was simply giving the appropriate meaning to the 'stollen'!
Sounds like a wonderful Christmas, except the hangover...

Patience (I'm sure I commented on the previous post. I must have messed up and it didn't come through. Unless I said something stupid which you needed to delete. If I did, PLEASE accept apologies!)

Flowerpot said...

had a great time thanks Graham with lots of lovely long walks for Mollie and a good time had by all. Not even had a hangover, by some fluke...

HandH said...

That second picture is wonderful! Hope Tilly has recovered from her ill-gotten gains - and merry Christmas!

BamBam & Eski said...

Sorry we're late!
anyhow, we came by to wish you a Merry Christmas Graham and Lesley!
Great to know you had great fun...

Not forgetting you Tilly (and Prince), hope Santa sent you loads of yummy treats and lovely toys. be good!

DoGGa said...

Glad ya'll had a good crimbo!

Fiona said...

So pleased that you and Tilly had a good time Graham. Have a superb 2008 too!

Harry said...

We wanted to wish you a happy and healthy 2008. We hope that for you, like us, 2008 is a kinder year.

Toodle pip,
Harry x

Meg said...

Happy New Year! I wish we could send some of our massive amounts of snow over to you guys...we have too much and would be happy to send Tilly some so she could play, too!