Monday, 26 November 2007

Grounded......

I have a strong suspicion that Tilly is going to be an accident prone dog. She's been feeling very sorry for herself today after having hurt her leg quite badly whilst out walking this morning. In typical Tilly style, she came flying down a long steep bank at a ridiculous speed and by the time she got to the bottom her rear end had practically overtaken her front end. She hobbled for a couple of steps and then seemed OK. Unfortunately, after a couple of hours sleep when she got home, her hind leg has swelled up and she's putting very little weight on it.

Of course, this means that she hasn't been out for her afternoon walk, her tennis balls have been confiscated to try and discourage her from running around, and she's been bored rigid all day. I feel so sorry for her, and would love to just pick her up and give her a damned good cuddle, but as I've described before, she's not really keen on overt displays of affection. Unless it involves her putting her tongue in your mouth of course.

I'm going to take her to the vets in the morning to try and establish whether it's muscle, tendon, ligament or bone related. I'm pretty sure it's not muscle, as the swelling is on the lower part of the leg, and think it might be a tendon strain. I did speak to the vet earlier and there is a small possibility of a minor fracture, but I think this is very unlikely. She's far less inclined to put weight on it after it's been rested, so my money's on the tendon. In horses, this is bad news, but I'm not sure of the implications for a dog. I really hope it's not something that's going to take a long time to heal - I'm not sure that Tilly or I can cope with a lengthy period of 'house-rest'. We may both go mad.....

My poor girl - it's the same leg that was mangled when she was a stray, and the reason she was picked up by the RSPCA. She's been through quite enough with that leg as far as I'm concerned. Tilly's so chirpy about life that even though she's clearly fed up and bored senseless, she still wags appealingly and tries to gambol around on three legs whenever you speak to her! She really does have a lovely nature.

Incidentally, the ball on Friday night was good fun. It was held at Chester Racecourse, and was a riot of scarlet tail-coats, drunken revellers, and poorly co-ordinated dancing. I'd been up in London all day before travelling back for the evening, and was tired, so I blame this entirely for my slightly 'squiffy' appearance. Of course, Saturday was lost to a dreadful hangover, and only today did I feel vaguely normal again.....

3 comments:

Patience-please said...

Oh I hope Tilly is ok. Please let us know what the vet says.
Glad the book arrived! Hope your mom enjoys it-
Patience

Flowerpot said...

poor Tilly - do hope she recovers soon. Glad you enjoyed teh ball though...!

Kerrio said...

Are you *sure* she is anot a lurcher? They are the MOST accident prone dogs in the universe......