Monday, 15 October 2007

Weekend Round-up

One of the problems I have as a result of living where I do is that in the Winter you can't really walk after dark. It's not that there are yobs on every corner - it's because there are no pavements and no streetlights. Country lanes in the dark aren't much fun - especially when an idiot in a BMW comes flying around a blind bend on his shortcut home from work.

To get around this problem I have a few 'urban' walks that I used to do with Prince that I'll soon have to employ with Tilly on dark nights. One of my favourites is a walk that takes in the ancient Roman walls of Chester, and the racecourse there - which is open to all outside of race days. Tilly is much happier with traffic now, but I still thought it would be better to try the walk in daylight first, so I took her there on Friday. Of course, it brought back lots of memories of walking there with Prince, and eating ice-creams by the river, which was hard, but Tilly made me really proud. She was fine with the traffic, grinned and wagged appealingly at every passer-by just like Prince used to do, and did her best to emulate a racehorse approaching the finishing post at the racecourse..... On Saturday I made a pilgrimage to Princes Bridge to spend some time with him alone and consider what to have put on the plaque I'm planning to put there. I'm still not sure, but I'm sure it'll come to me in time. I'll bet no more than five people cross the bridge each day, but the last couple of times I've been, someone has always wandered across as I'm sitting there with a face like a sodden tomato. It's deeply embarrassing - I may have to fabricate a fake sign saying 'footpath closed' for future use!

I took Tilly to my parents house on Saturday evening whilst I went for dinner to celebrate my brothers birthday. She continued her charm assault, didn't pee in the house, and cemented her position as new 'grand-daughter'.

I'm going out to a meeting at one of my favourite places tonight (The Swan Hotel in Tarporley), so she'll be on her own for a few hours. I'm sure she'll be fine, but one thing I have been worrying about recently is whether I'm making a rod for my own back by letting her into the garden to go to the toilet too regularly. She normally goes out every couple of hours or so, and I'm wondering whether I should try and increase the time between visits. Of course, I don't want her to be uncomfortable or hold onto it for an unhealthy amount of time, but I wonder whether I'm 'training' her to need to go out too often. From a practical perspective, two hours isn't long and there'll be many times when I won't be around to let her out at such a short interval, and she gets through an eight hour stint overnight without a problem, so should I increase the frequency during the day? She's only just over twelve months old of course, but your advice would be appreciated.....

6 comments:

Flowerpot said...

I've only got experience with Mollie to draw on, and she can go out the cat flap but she rarely needs to go in the daytime. Might be worth increasing the length of time in case you're out at a meeting and cant get back to let her out. Just to be on teh safe side!

Patience-please said...

Oh how I wish I had a place like your racetrack to walk my waggle... Lovely photos and writing; I feel like I've had a little vacation in the UK. My dogs say, no we haven't and it's time for OUR walk.

all the best-
Patience

Linda Seid Frembes said...

Since I work from home full-time, I am also guilty of taking Waldo out every few hours on weekdays. However on the weekends, he goes out on a completely different schedule. We've also left him for 10 hours without an accident. I think dog bladders are quite resilient! One tip: To keep accidents to a minimum, give her a limited amount of water when you leave her. Enough to quench her thirst but not so much that her bladder will overflow.

And how is that nose of hers, by the way? All healed up?

Graham, Prince & Tilly said...

Thanks Flowerpot - I'll try and get her to hold out a little longer!

Welcome Patience - I've left a comment on your hilarious blog!

Hi Linda - yes, I think they're more adaptable than we give them credit for! The nose is getting much better - still a bit of a lump but going down slowly...

Harry said...

Wow Tilly, you get to run on the racetrack, how fabulous!

Ma says she's getting ready for hourly toilet trips with cassidy. I can go for hours without needing to pee, and I drink LOTS! Just call me Harry the Camel.

Toodle pip,
Harry x

Graham, Prince & Tilly said...

Harry the Camel - I like that!!