Saturday, 27 October 2007

A Quarter of a Year....


It's been three months to the day that I last picked my little boy up and kissed his wiry little face. People tell you that it gets easier with time. It does, for a day or two at a time, until you see something, smell something, or think of something that transports you back to a time when such pain seemed inconceivable.

Before Tilly had her second snout incident earlier, we had walked down a set of wooden steps set in a gentle slope towards a stream. It was a place I'd walked with Prince many, many, times. Without exception he would set off down these steps at full pelt, eager with the anticipation of splashing in the stream below. I've seen him paddle in this stream so many times, and I've hurried down after him every time to check that all's well at the bottom - yet today the water remained still when I got there. It doesn't get easier with time. Time might dull the pain every now and again, but it certainly doesn't make it easier or better.

The rather fuzzy picture above was taken days after Princes 'human-mother' and I collected him. We went through a short period of taking polaroid pictures of him with random notes that he 'had written'. As you can see from his face, although he was not a great fan of this game, he played along nonetheless.

He was much darker when he was very young, although the quality of the picture does make him look even more so. He had a particularly dark patch on his side that I spent at least an hour trying to scrub off in the bath when we first got him - before realising it was his natural colouring.....

12 comments:

Lesley Rigby said...

A perfect example of how it hits you!I know exactly where you mean and I too can see him running in circles in the water. Prince very seldom barked but he always did with excitement at this place. A quiet place full of sadness without a little dog.....

Linda Seid Frembes said...

My... how times passes... I remember the day when you wrote about Prince's passing. It was at the height of Watson's sickness and I had held out such hope for us all. Hugs to you and Tilly for more happy times.

Harry said...

Thinking of you this weekend,we are at the same milestone as you know.

Katy

Flowerpot said...

time really does heal Graham but it passes slowly - or seems to. Hugs to you and tilly.

fee said...

((((HUGS))))

Aoj & The Lurchers said...

{{{hugs from me too}}}

Em said...

{{{even more hugs}}} It will get easier - you'll always be reminded of him in little ways, but eventually you'll find that you're just smiling rather than smiling and crying at the same time, and the pain will fade.

Lesley Rigby said...

You made the best Daddy a dog could have. He was such a lucky boy.

Patience-please said...

I have found that the greatest miracle of dog love is that those gaping holes of pain and loss in your heart eventually get filled to overflowing with happy, laughing memories.
In time.

Meanwhile, all of us who have felt that breathless emptiness understand and empathize.

all the best-
Patience

Kerrio said...

Two of ours have been bitten on the snout by rats - but we saw it happen in the garden..... squirrels are a prime candidate!

DoGGa said...

I think you've just put me off ever owning a dog :[]

I can't imagine what it's like really, but I guess most people will outlive a pet at some point in their life, so you're not alone I'm sure... Cheer up and start making new times with Tilly in new areas!

sama said...

oh yes. i remember our first dog, swimming up the river, and thinking 'this will last forever'. of course, it didn't....and my heart goes out to you, graham. it gets easier. but it takes time. the pain is always there, but you get to be able to handle it.