Tuesday, 2 October 2007

Home Sweet Home

It's so good to be back at home with Tilly. She's had a wonderful time at my parents house by all accounts - with lots of cuddles, lovely walks and games. I thought her tummy looked a little pronounced as she trotted back into the house this evening, but I'm sure that must have been a trick of the light. I did note, however, that one of the first things she did upon arrival was trot back into the kitchen from the sitting room, and sniff pointedly at her food cupboard. Hmmm, has Grandpa been overdoing things on the food front I wonder?

Another reason I had to smile when she arrived home was that Prince appears to have taught her another of his favourites - the ritual chewing of a bone as soon as he arrived back from his Grandparents house. Regardless of how late it was, how tired he might be, or anything else, Prince always wanted to chew a bone before he settled down for the night. Tilly's never been a huge rawhide fan, although she does enjoy one every now and again - usually tucked away in the corner, out of sight. This evening, she showed great interest as I unpacked a bone from her 'overnight bag', so I offered it to her. She took it straight to the middle of the rug and proceeded to enthusiastically chew it to completion. She'll be cocking her leg next if Prince has his way!

I can't say I enjoyed my trip up to London, but it was tolerable. The pressure's already on, and the drinking culture unchanged, but I managed to escape unscathed. I sloped off early from the pub last night, so at least I managed to avoid a terrible hangover today.

After the flights both in and out were delayed I've vowed never to fly to London again. There's another reason why I'd rather not fly at the moment, and that's the strange effect it seems to have on my emotions. I've been fairly composed over the past couple of weeks about Prince, but from the moment the plane took off yesterday morning I was really struggling to hold back the tears. I don't know whether it's the enforced time to think, fatigue, or the poignancy of the planes progress through the clouds - but I had to really fight not to make a fool of myself in public. I'm not ashamed to show emotion, but a be-suited man weeping openly on a plane is a step too far.... I was exactly the same flying back this evening. Of course, I was in a terrible state flying to France and back soon after he was put down, but I was far more raw at that time so it was a little more understandable. It's odd how certain situations can trigger such a strong response. Although I can assure you that I'm not in any way suicidal, I also found it quite un-nerving that I was sitting there thinking about, and almost hoping for, the plane to plummet to the ground. Deeply worrying - I think I shall avoid aviation for some time!

On a much brighter note, I'm posting a couple of photographs below - one showing the scene from my hotel window last night, and by way of contrast, one showing how Tilly spent the day today. There's really no competition is there?!

Looking down Moorgate.....

C'mon Grandpa - throw the ball!!!


6 comments:

Lesley Rigby said...

Of course he has been overdoing things! You just DO NOT want to know.

Oscar's mummy and daddy said...

Glad to hear Tilly is enjoying doggy daycare at your mum and dad's.

Glad you are happy to hear about Harry. I know we may only have him for a year or two, being the old guy that he is, but we can accept that and just want him to be as happy as possible.

Katy x

Linda Seid Frembes said...

Hey, be careful of that use of the "s" word or I will start worrying about you. You are stronger than that!

But I do understand how the mind and emotions play tricks, especially if the last time you flew on a plane was after Prince passed. In fact, your post triggered a memory of me rushing to the market at 10pm to try and find something that Watson would eat. I haven't been back to that market since....

Flowerpot said...

glad to hear all went well or tolerably so - great pics. Re travelling - if you go by train you have just as much time to think. Or is it the associations with flying? Or will you drive? Just a thought.

Beverley Cuddy said...

Graham

Sorry, I don't have your email to hand so hope you will see this! We've had a request to reprint your articles on Prince in the Bernese Mountain Dog Club magazine. We don't mind and don't charge a reprint fee, but we need to get your permission, too for them to go ahead.

Can you email christine@dogstodaymagazine.co.uk with your decision.

Cheers
Beverley

mutleythedog said...

I just found your blog via a friend.. I shall be back for a chat sometime!