Saturday, 27 October 2007

Dangerous Creatures


Tillys snout has once again been subject to attack by an unidentified third party. This time, the I suspect the offender to have been a squirrel or badger. I'm erring on the side of a squirrel at the moment, as it probably would have been a lot worse had it been a badger.

Out on our walk this afternoon she'd been racing around with a new group of dogs and was having a fantastic time. Such a good time that it had become quite dark before we began to head back, with one of her new-found friends, and I'd put her flashing collar on so that I could keep an eye on her whilst she continued to play. The next minute she shot off into the undergrowth, very close to a barbed wire fence, and then I heard her cry out. I called her and she came flying back. In the semi-darkness I couldn't see any obvious injuries, and was enormously relieved that her eyes looked fine.

When I got back to better light she had a big blob of blood on the bridge of her nose, almost exactly where the previous injury was just beginning to disappear. Running from it, almost down to her mouth, was a deep scratch. At this stage I thought she must have run into the barbed wire, in pursuit of something small and furry, but on later inspection I could see another scratch very close to it that would suggest that her quarry had been cornered and fought back. Perhaps suprisingly, I think squirrels can be quite feisty when cornered. Thank goodness it didn't get her eye - one of my biggest fears. Of course, she is totally unfazed by this and has been buzzing around ever since. She's quite looking forward to showing Angus her scars and showing off about how tough she is.....

The picture above may look quite sweet, but the reality was that we'd been play-fighting and she was biting me at the time! Tilly is so active that I have to take advantage and 'get hold of her' for a kiss when she's otherwise engaged. This was taken a few hours before the second 'snout issue' of recent times.....

2 comments:

Lesley Rigby said...

She's a B*****!

Linda Seid Frembes said...

Despite her perchant for high-energy toothy antics, this photo really is sweet.