Sunday, 2 September 2007

Unsociable Ladies

No, I haven't been chasing scantily-clad ladies around, and been rebuffed. Chance would be a fine thing...

I'm referring to Tilly, who over the past couple of days has taken to retiring to her bed in the kitchen whenever we're not actively involved in a game, or a walk, for example. Now, in many ways, this is very good - she obviously feels safe and warm in her bed, and doesn't feel the need to have me in her sight all the time. All good, healthy things. However, on the flip-side this tells me that she doesn't feel safe and warm sitting on the sofa next to me, and can't stand the bloody sight of me when I'm not entertaining her.

Am I being over-sensitive? She's really not into cuddles and snuggling up on the sofa - but I hope this may come in time. Perhaps she just needs more space and time to herself than Prince did, or is still a little unsure of her new surroundings.

I suppose I'll have to retire to the sofa alone and consider this.... any ideas anyone?

Oh, and about those scantily-clad ladies.......

5 comments:

Linda Seid Frembes said...

I have this problem with Baby Waldo too. He would much prefer to spend some alone time outside looking at the birds or even in his kennel (I keep the door open when he's not in it) rather than by my side. I think it's both a puppy and a bonding issue. When I remind him that I am here with a simple "hi", he greets me like I have been away. It seems like he literally forgets about me. I didn't have this problem with Watson, but then again, we bonded rather quickly and deeply. Some relationships take more time, I suppose.

Flowerpot said...

perhaps she's very aware of Prince's presence and is a bit intimidated by it or feels she can't compete? Dogs can be almost psychic at times...

Kerrio said...

Some dogs just like their own beds. My mum's dog, Marlowe, takes himself off to bed at 7PM everynight, and gets annoyed when the humans in the house don't go to bed then too.

It's just a dog foible!

Aoj & The Lurchers said...

Yep, what Kerrio said. She's confident enough not to need to be constantly at your side and that's a good thing!

Em said...

I also agree with Kerrio - in stark contrast to you, we're quite happy that Mollie has started taking herself off upstairs to bed, as this means she's not so reliant on us, and that she trusts us to be on our own. She might let us go out without her soon!!