Thursday, 20 September 2007

Mr & Mrs...

I find it quite fascinating just how different Prince and Tilly are. There are a few similarities (four legs, hairy face etc...), but other than that they're pretty different. I'm noting these things in a positive way - when I decided to get another dog I was adamant that I wouldn't try and 'replace' Prince, because he's irreplaceable and it would place deeply unfair expectations on the other dog.

And I succeeded - in many ways they're like chalk and cheese.

Prince adored cuddles and being picked up and carried around. Tilly has her 'soft' moments, but they're far fewer. To Tilly, being picked up is just an opportunity to stick her tongue in your ear and wriggle free.

Prince would politely chase something you threw for him, but certainly wouldn't consider bringing it back. Tilly on the other hand will chase and retrieve all day given the chance.

Tilly will actually play with toys. Princes prime objective when given a toy was to 'kill it'. That'll be the terrier then.....

Given the choice between a new tennis ball and a treat, Tilly would choose the ball. Prince would take the treat, half your hand, and the ball for good measure.

As far as Prince was concerned, mornings were for sleeping, cuddling and eating. Tilly thinks mornings are for running, playing and chasing balls.

Prince was of course, a boy. Consequently, if it stood still long enough he would wee on it. Tilly is of course, a girl. She wees when she needs to.

Prince would spend hours chewing and relishing rawhide bones. Tilly would rather spend hours chasing a ball, or chewing daddy.

It's good that they both have distinct personalities, quirks and characters. I miss Prince terribly, but Tilly and the new qualities she brings do help to make it bearable.

Bones for Prince.....

Balls for Tilly.....

8 comments:

Kerrio said...

That's lovely Graham, it's really good that you can appreciate the differences...

Oscar's mummy and daddy said...

That's a great post. Even though our new pup will be another Airedale, I'm sure there will still be lots of differences in personality which will be really interesting to see.

Katy xxx

Lesley Rigby said...

Graham,
I thought I would just add that Prince was incredibly masculine - all muscle and VERY handsome, while Tilly is delicate and pretty with legs reaching up to the sky! When chewing a bone Prince would shoot his legs out to the back but Tilly places hers to one side in a very ladylike manner. Love Mum xxxxx

Flowerpot said...

Good that they're so different. Tilly actually sounds more masculine in a way, but that could be to do with her background so far. Long legs - wouldn't I die for those..

Jayne said...

Tilly sounds very much like my dog. She will fetch a ball all day if you let her. Her walks consist of me throwing her the ball and her retrieving it. My dog only like to settle down for short periods and will sit next to me on the sofa for a small while in the evening. If she comes up on my knee, then it is to wriggle about like a mad thing. I love her though because she has bags of personality.

Linda Seid Frembes said...

Agreed - great post! It's good that you can appreciate both of them, even though they are so different. Perhaps in time, Tilly's traits will grow on you even more!

-Linda & Angel Watson

Balboa & Mommy said...

Tilly certianly has brought a lot of changes in your life, I love that she is so different, she needs to keep you on your toes,

Frenchie Snorts
Balboa

Em said...

Wow. Mollie is an almost exact cross between the two, except for the colouring... it's great that you can compare them in a positive way like that, Tilly will never be Prince but it sounds like she brings a different kind of joy to your life. Which is as it should be, I think.

(I'm back, by the way :D)