Thursday, 6 September 2007

Memory Lane (10)


The plaque I had ordered for Princes bench in the garden arrived today. It's small and understated, and says all I needed it to say.

Prince and I spent many happy hours lounging around on the bench in the garden. He'd wait for me to go and get his bed from the back of the car, and as soon as I'd carefully placed it on the bench (on his side of course), he'd hop straight up and settle down. He was a real 'outdoorsy' dog, and even if he wasn't doing anything in particular, he always preferred to be in the garden.

As long as it wasn't actually raining, and occassionally even if it was, we would spend time surveying the scene from the bench. I would read, stroke Prince with my free hand, and drink countless cups of tea. Prince would doze, chase the daring rabbits if they tried to break cover, and intermittently blow down the mouse holes to see if anything popped out of the other end.

I chose not to plant a tree in his memory, or anything plant related, as I have such an ability for flattening the most hardy specimens. I simply couldn't bear it if something I planted for him started to go downhill. I may plant some daffodil bulbs around the bench this year, but purely based on the expectation that the squirrels will probably have removed them by Spring. Prince thought daffodils were excellent to wee on, and had a slight obsession with sticking his face in them - before he urinated on them thankfully.

I'm considering putting another plaque on the bridge that I visit to talk to him, but I need to establish who it belongs to first, and ask their permission. I would hate to blunder up there one day, tears streaming down my face as ever, to find it had been removed.


Ah, my baby. My little cherub.

8 comments:

Kerrio said...

That's lovely.

There is a gate in one of our local woods where all the dog walkers go with a very small plaque saying "Susie's Gate".

Everyone knows it as "Susie's Gate" but no-one I've met knows who she was, I can only assume she was someone's best loved canine friend and used to wait at that gate.

Linda Seid Frembes said...

That is a fantastic tribute. Understated is always best. And I do love that photo of him sprawled out on his bed. I see "his side" constitutes about 3/4 of the bench. Of course!

mare said...

what a great photo!

if only I could get someone to carry my bed around waiting for the moment I tire...

Flowerpot said...

A lovely picture, a lovely thought. Go and plant some bulbs.

shelby said...

Simply beautiful, what a lovely plaque.
Love the photo

Em said...

Lovely (and your garden looks nice!). Like flowerpot says, plant some bulbs. Even I can manage that without too much difficulty....

BamBam & Eski said...

i had enlarged that picture to see him more clearly, relaxing on that bench... and jus look at him! - resting his head on the armrest!

tat's a lovely plaque for him.
you know that Prince's with you throughout, wherever you may be... so dun be down. Tilly's giving you strength too :)

Katherine and Pippa, said...

It's so hard isn't it? Every time I read your blog I think about our Prince - different dogs, same names.

You need to do what you think would be right for your Prince.

Kate.