Tuesday, 28 August 2007

Weary, Weary, Weary....

I really must stop complaining, but I really am tired. I'm not used to getting less than seven hours sleep a night for any sustained period. I didn't get much sleep whilst Prince wasn't well, and now I'm not getting much because Tilly Trotter needs to get up earlier than I might like. Added to this we have our daily walks / drags adding up to two hours now. I'm b*ggered. Oh well, I suppose it's doing me good. I do look forward to a time when we trust each other a little more, and walks are a little more relaxing. At the moment, I don't get chance to look anywhere but at Tilly, and my feet if I'm jogging over rough ground, and all this is conducted at fairly high speed, so I can't say walks are terribly pleasurable. In contrast, long before he slowed down due to age or illness, Prince at least sniffed and wee'd every twenty centimetres - giving ample opportunity to admire the scenery and take a breather! We'll get there in the end I suppose.

I escaped for a couple of hours after our morning walk to go and see some friends at their farm. As well as a their usual selection of lurchers and terriers, they're also 'walking' a couple of foxhound puppies at the moment for the local hunt. They are causing absolute mayhem - nothing is safe from being chewed, urinated on, or eaten. One was swinging on one of the horses tails as I left - thankfully a laid back horse who wasn't overly concerned. No wonder there was such concern about the possible re-homing of foxhounds when the ban was brought in!!

8 comments:

Em said...

I'm sure she'll calm down. Or you'll get fitter. Or both. Eventually you'll get the hang of having less sleep and you'll sleep deeper. Possibly. Unless you're like me, in which case you'll need to get the 'grandparents' to 'babysit' every now and then while you sleep for 24 hours... :D

shelby said...

Hi Graham
I fully sympathise with your sleep deprivation, what with having a 12 week old puppy! Bailey is getting better though and once he's been fed at 6.30am, he will have another couple of hours later and we only have one night time trip to the garden in the early hours, so I cannot complain.
I'm sure as Tilly gets older things will improve, otherwise she may need stop overs at Grandma's so you can catch up on your sleep Ha Ha!

Lesley Rigby said...

"Grandma" is reading this blog and is getting very concerned that she might be carried off on a stretcher before too long! I become more worried day by day as October approaches.........Do "Pets at Home" sell Treadmills?

Flowerpot said...

Graham, they do calm down. I remember Moll at that age and she was utterly knackering. It doesn't last though!

Linda Seid Frembes said...

My word... nothing like youth to remind you of how old you are, eh?

Graham, Prince & Tilly said...

Haha - thanks for all your kind comments! It's amazing how time dulls the less positive memories. I remember Prince exhausting me in his early days too. I'm sure she'll calm down, but I really don't have anything to complain about as it's only youthful exhuberance and she's an angel in most other ways.

As for Grandma - look out! One hyperactive badger is on the way.....

Kerrio said...

ah yes well... if you wanted calm you should have opted for a lurcher.

OOPS, I'm not helping am I?

Snogs from the dogs

Kerrio

Aoj & The Lurchers said...

Let her come upstairs - once she's snuggled on the bed with you, she'll let you stay in bed for much longer!

Oh...that's not helping either is it? ;)