Thursday, 30 August 2007

An Incident.....

Tilly, or 'Bugger' as she was known this morning......


Tilly and I had rather a traumatic experience this morning.

We'd been on our usual morning walk, and Tilly had been an absolute angel. Her recall has improved significantly, and she'd been off her lead for the last half of the walk. I put her back on her lead as we approached the track back to the car, as there is a field of cows at the end and she still views them as aliens - ripe for barking at.

There are two gates at the end of the track, and as I got to the second I noticed a couple of people on horses approaching. I decided to keep the gate open for them, firstly, because I ride and know how difficult it can be opening and closing stiff gates, and secondly, because I thought it would be good for Tillys equine education.

As expected, Tilly went crazy as they approached, barking and spinning around. The two horses and riders were fine with this and I explained that she was new and hadn't seen much. In the meantime, Tilly had wrapped her lead around my leg about twenty times and had her face virtually pinned to my knee. Then it happened. Due to the leverage she had accidentally achieved by being wrapped up, and a sudden lurch towards the nags, she popped out of the bl**dy Ezydog harness. I think the blood drained from my face as I stood holding the lead, with an empty harness dangling from it.

Anyway, Tilly proceeded to maraud around the two horses, having a sniff of ones tail, barking, snapping at their hocks etc... Basically, everything that with most horses would have found her launched into orbit on the end of an iron-shod hoof.

Thankfully, these were ride and drive horses, and used to things going on behind them. I'm not sure Tilly realises what a lucky escape she had. I managed to pin her down in the end and clip the lead onto her collar, but it was a frightening experience. In many respects it would have been good if one of them had given her a boot, as long as she suffered nothing but a shock.

The riders were most understanding, and took it in their stride. So much so that they seemed to want to chat for hours. All the time, Tilly was woofing, and the cows were approaching the now open gate, having identified some excitement going on at exit one.....

In the end, I scarpered, with the valid excuse that I needed to close the gate sharpish. What a walk!!

This afternoons walk was far less eventful. Tilly was enormously over-excited, as it was a walk she hadn't done before, but pretty good under the circumstances.

Going back to the harness issue, and perhaps for the benefit of other blogging dogs using them (Bailey and Mollie) I don't think it's really a design fault - but a freak occurrence. It only came off because she'd got herself so tangled up, and I still have no idea how really. I don't think that any other harness I've seen could be any more secure, so I think it's just something to be aware of rather than concerned about......

7 comments:

Lesley Rigby said...

Might I have a bit of trouble with the deer at Tatton?

Graham, Prince & Tilly said...

I'm sure you will....

Linda Seid Frembes said...

How scary! I'm glad everything turned out okay...! On a purely superficial note, I love that photo of Miss Tilly.

Balboa & Mommy said...

Oh my, I can only imagine the fear you felt in that moment. I am so glad you were able to get Tilly back and nothing terrible happened.

Karen

Flowerpot said...

that happened with me when Mollie was tiny - and my heart dropped through my toes. Horrifying feeling - I can still remember it.

Em said...

It wasn't very long ago that Mollie slipped her collar so I well remember how awful it feels. So glad it happened away from a main road, and with worldly wise horses!! Hope you've calmed down now...:D

shelby said...

She is certainly one lucky little girl! How things could have easily been worse if one of the horses had kicked her, thank goodness she wasn't.
My Ezydog harness has arrived this morning and I have used it on Bailey's walk this afternoon and he walked lovely, I mainly wanted it for when he's in the car and i'm on my own.
I hope Tilly's next walk is free from events, hopefully as she goes out more and encounters different experiences she'll learn to stay calm around things.