Sunday, 26 August 2007

I Spy....

Uncle Damian and his partner, Auntie Katrina, came to visit Tilly today and we all went for a walk together. I'd pre-warned them that this was unlikely to be a leisurely Sunday afternoon stroll, but more of a cross-country endurance trial. As it was, she wasn't as quick as she can be, and we played a lot of 'fetch' beforehand to try and burn off some of the excess energy, so it was quite manageable. She also spent most of the walk on the lead, as her recall's taken a bit of a backward step over the past couple of days. I assume this is because she's getting more confident and independant - but I couldn't risk her disappearing in the forest, or rounding a corner to find a horse or unsociable dog on the other side. Hopefully, we'll be back on track soon.

Tilly isn't currently allowed upstairs in the house, which is something I imposed from day one when I wasn't sure what the house-training situation was. Also, I like to think of upstairs as being a quiet place for Prince and I at the moment. Of course she'll be allowed up at some point, but I think it's quite healthy to have boundaries in the early days. Even Prince wasn't allowed upstairs for some time after I first got him. Tilly's very good though, she goes to sleep on the sofa at the bottom of the stairs so that when I come back down, she can greet me immediately as the door opens. The picture below shows me discovering her waiting for me at the bottom of the stairs.



As you've probably guessed, the picture's taken using the webcam, which is set to take a picture when it detects motion, or when you click a button. I can't emphasise enough how useful this piece of gadgetry is. It was crucial when Prince wasn't well, so that I could keep an eye on him, and even my mother watched him from twenty miles away. Now with Tilly, I have it on in the kitchen at night so that I can check that she's not up to no good, and occassionally if I'm upstairs I'll put it in the sitting room so that I can get a better idea of how she copes with me leaving her. I can also spy on her via my mobile phone when I'm out if necessary. It really is useful, but was rather expensive at about £200 when I got it. The peace of mind it gave when Prince wasn't well was worth the money though.... If anyone's interested, this is the one I got.

No comments: