Sunday, 24 June 2007

Countdown....

Less than twenty four hours to go until Prince heads of to the hospital, and in some respects I can't wait for the treatment to start and on the other hand I'm petrified.

Having said that, I'm not even sure if he will have his first dose of chemotherapy tomorrow. It's his first appointment at the hospital and although we've had all the tests and biopsies done at my local vets to confirm the diagnosis, I'm worried that all they'll do tomorrow is examine him to decide exactly what they want to do.

The average life expectancy of a dog with Lymphoma if untreated is two months. It's been three weeks since Prince was first diagnosed, with all the waiting for various sets of results and the delay in actually getting an appointment at the hospital. Surely, we need to start the chemo immediately? I do hope they don't just poke and prod him tomorrow and then ask me to take him in a week later for the first treatment session. Whilst I'm dreading the chemo starting, because I don't know how it will effect him, I'm also keen for it to start straight away as I'm very aware that the clock is ticking.

I'm also not looking forward to the pantomime that is Prince visiting any vet. The poor little chap absolutely hates it - and can rarely be persuaded to enter on his feet. Usually I have to pick him up and carry him in. He's a real drama-queen and squeals whener the vet goes near him, even if he hasn't actually done anything. He then spends the whole time clambering up my front and trying to get onto my shoulder like a parrot. Tough terriers eh?!

On an infinately more important note, he can't have anything to eat from eight o'clock tonight. Good god, how will he survive? I fear he may fade away due to a serious case of malnutrition.... How will he make it through the night? Hmmmmm, despite his protestations, I think he'll make it!

No comments: